Division Officers

Discussions about the NMRA, the Lone Star Region, and the Cen-Tex Division. Have questions or feedback? Need help? This is the place!
michael78651
Engineer

Division Officers

Postby michael78651 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm

I think it would be nice to have a page with the names and contact information of the officers of our division.

I also think the officers need to promote usage of our web site. It isn't being used at all. If we're not going to use it, let's chunk it. There's no point in having it, and wasting the money for it with its useless out-dated information. The AMRS can keep their stuff on a dedicated web site for the AMRS if we toss this site.

I sent a message (through this site) over a month ago to the coordinator of the layout tours for the regional meet. My free opened up, and my layout became available to be on the tour. Too late now..... We lose as a group when we don't use the tools that we have.

Michael
Michael

Author of the books: Seasons of Fantasies and Dreams; The Whitechapel Fog

Peter Kazmir
Chief Dispatcher

Re: Division Officers

Postby Peter Kazmir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi, Michael,

That's a good suggestion. We will include that in the new page design along with a lot of other useful links and other information.

The web site redesign has been on hold for a while now, especially with the train show (which needed a web site) the new club (which needed a web site), and the convention (which needed a web site, most urgently). Now that those are mostly clearing off the to-do list, we should get our website updated by the fall.

We do mention the web site and discussion forum every meeting and in the marker lamp. Do you have any suggestions on where else we could advertise it? (I agree, we need more participation.)

Thanks!
Peter

Peter Kazmir
Chief Dispatcher

Postby Peter Kazmir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh, I should add: We're looking at switching to google forums for the discussion board at the same time as the web site redesign. That should include (optionally) notifications with content and email-based replies, which should significantly increase participation.

gzapalac
Engineer

Postby gzapalac » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Michael

I'm sorry I missed your message about the layout tour. It was sent as a private message but wasn't forwarded to me. I would have been glad to add your layout to the tour had I known you were available. I do get notified when new items are posted to the Forum, but apparently it didn't recognize my name for the private message. I hope the new website that Peter is going to work on after the convention will make communications easier. In the meantime, you can always reach me at my e-mail address, [url]georgezapalac@gmail.com[/url].

michael78651
Engineer

Postby michael78651 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks, George. By the way, you (and someone else not formerly in the group) were the only ones who responded to my operating session notice. Too bad the two of you couldn't make it. If I can free up some time (my mother is seriously ill right now (recovering, however, so that's the good news) I'll try to get another session posted. Even if just you want to come, that'll be fine.

Peter, we could always tattoo the URL on the forehead of every member!

Charge $1.00 to everyone who hasn't logged in to the site since the last local meeting, and/or another $1.00 if they didn't create a substantive new post or response to a discussion thread. (They'll love that one, right?) You'll know if people are reading the posts here if you get complaints about this idea!

Maybe make business cards with the web site name and URL to hand out so people can put them by their computers. Post it on the NMRA site and the Texas NMRA site (do they have one?). I know that those require people to have to look at those sites...

I think when the new site is rolled out, all division business should be conducted on the site. No more emails sent to everyone. That just gives people an excuse not to use the site since they'll get the information a different way.
Michael

Author of the books: Seasons of Fantasies and Dreams; The Whitechapel Fog

Return to “NMRA”