Operation Plan

Discussions about operations.
michael78651
Engineer

Operation Plan

Postby michael78651 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Creating an operating system can sometimes be like doing computer programming. Make a change, enhancement, or whatever, and break something in the plan. I recently found some new prototypical information that filled in about the last gaps I had in my existing plan. Of course I've been working on the bugs that came along with inserting these new operations for some time now. I think I'm on the tail end of the fixes. I just obtained some other information that affects a few trains, but I decided that I'm not adding anything else to the plan. The only changes to be made now are any lingering bugs that I find, or if some are found in a future operating session.

I suppose we can get ourselves stuck in a circuitous path of trying to perfect our operating plans. Yes, things do get better, but there is much work to do whenever revisions are made. If you've ever been on computer system enhancement projects at work, you probably know that the hardest thing to do is to stop adding things to the project. Well, I have declared a moratorium on my layout operating plan. Once I get through this last bit of debugging, then I'll be operating as smooth as possible, and can get back to scenery work and other things that have been neglected on the layout during all this.

What experiences have you had developing and working on your operating plans?
Michael

Author of the books: Seasons of Fantasies and Dreams; The Whitechapel Fog

michael78651
Engineer

Re: Operation Plan

Postby michael78651 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Today I decided to back off the most recent changes that I had made. While they would have worked, I would have had to make some changes to the layout to make systematically them work.

So, the changes made before this point are being declared the cut-off point. I am debugging them, and there are a few corrections to be made.

Maybe a few years from now when I have nothing else to do on the layout, I'll revisit the operating plan and see if I want to revise it. (I hope I say, "No".)
Michael

michael78651
Engineer

Postby michael78651 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Hmm. I thought I said I was not going to make changes to my operating plan. Well, I guess I really didn't change the "plan".

Based on comments from previous operating sessions, I have made a couple of enhancements that should be welcome by operators. The first is taking my train order cards, and instead of the orders being in paragraph form, I have now rewritten them in a list form. Each individual instruction now is one a separate line to make it much easier for an operator to read and perform the required action.

The other enhancement, which I have almost completed is creating my own waybills in a Word table document. Some people were having difficulty reading my handwriting. Now the waybills are all printed. I looked at several examples that other model layouts use, and found them to be too cumbersome. I like simple. Heck, I even found one waybill system where each car has to be weighed for loads before it can be shipped. Too much for my tastes. My waybills always just contained just the information needed to keep the cars moving. This was a long-planned project. Glad I finally got to it. I still have to do the empty car requests, but the waybills are just about done.

If anyone wants my template (it's in Micorsoft Word 2010), just drop me a message and include your email address. I'll send it to you. It is a two-step waybill printed front and back, and the same size as the Micro Mark waybills. Nice and easy, like I said.
Michael

gzapalac
Engineer

Postby gzapalac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am

Michael,

I'd like a copy of your template for waybills as well as train orders. My e-mail address is georgezapalac@gmail.com.

michael78651
Engineer

Postby michael78651 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:36 pm

email sent
Michael

michael78651
Engineer

Postby michael78651 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

I have the Empty Car Request template completed. Page two is the backside used to forward the loaded car. I can send anyone both templates now.
Michael

Return to “Operations”